Monday, March 2, 2009

transportation!

Ok, so let me fill you in about transportation here in Kenya...it's a little scary the first couple times you try it. I am on my way to Nairobi (again) & the main means of transportation are either a bus or a matatu (small van). I opted to take the matatu because there are no stops between my home & my destination (bus terminal). Its also a little more comfortable in sitting, more elbow space (kind of). For those who know me, know I love to drive, be in travel by car, love teaching driving to people...so what is the problem? Roads...most of them, accept in Nairobi are not paved so its literally a rollercoaster ride lasting 1 hour! Because the roads are so bad, drivers try to find the smoothest path possible, so if that means driving on the opposite side of the road, so be it. Its actually funny to see all these cars, vans, buses, & semi-trucks weeving in & out on the roads; some on the road, some on the sides, some down a ditch because its smoother there. Complete chaos! But maybe its only chaos to me, the foreigner. There are some parts that are really fun though :). Going 60 mph over a bunch of rocks is like an adrenaline rush, until the BIG ROCK comes (hit my head 4 times this morning). Like I mentioned before, not all roads are rough. Once we arrive in Nairobi city limits, the roads smooth out & the ride is calmer...I unclinch my grasp on the chair in front, fix my clothes, rub my soar head, & thank the Lord I'm breathing! Though this all may seem really awful, I still enjoy it. I may not be sitting in leather seats, feeling air-condition, or listening to Sade, but the more I use Kenyan transportation, the more I'm getting used to it all (the bumps don't seem as high as they did the first week I was here). Now I think I better end this now so I can concentrate on the road. :) Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment