Monday, March 2, 2009

nairobi...my new capital

What can I say about Nairobi...IT'S BEAUTIFUL! And of course it looks just like America (some parts). The buildings are tall and many like New York nd the women dress cute and stylish like L.A. Buses, cars, motorcycles crowd the streets and if you're not careful you WILL get hit! One of the first thing that caught my attention was the fact that there are no traffic lights, well, there are a few from what I've been told but I've never spotted one and I don't think they even work. Because this was a British colony way back when, there are mad roundabouts! I mean every 30 steps there's another circle in the middle of the road. I couldn't imagine teaching driving school in this place!Now to the good stuff...the have PIZZA! and BURGERS! and ICE CREAM! Granted, there's no pizza hut, or burger king, or even baskin robbins, but it's good enough! I bit into that chicken pizza so hard I almost broke a tooth. Just typing about it is making me hungry so let me move on. Walking around Nairobi can be quite dangerous though. If you happen to meet a Kenyan in the States, ask her..him about Nairobi and they'll tell you, "Oh you NaROBBERY, yeah I've been there." If I'm walking on the streets I keep my purse in front of me and my money spread out amongst my clothing, like socks (which I never wear), bra, front pocket, underwear...NO JOKE! People are known to not just grab your purse and run, but slice the side of it as you're walking and grab the things that fall out. All the while, the person never suspects anything, but feels his..her bag has gotten lighter! HA! Or if you're talking on a cell phone (blackberrys like mine are high in demand, hence I never take it out my bag) a person will come up to you, hit your elbow up from below so your phone goes flying in the air to the partner in crime and...away my blackberry goes...so sad, but I refuse to be the victim!I'm still learning my way around the city of course and living the closest I will probably be the one volunteer to frequent the capital. Surprisingly, there are many Indians, Europeans, Arabs, and White Americans who live in the city. They have blended in rather well, and first time I saw a white person I almost cried! Growing up in a diversity country like America is so unappreciated until one goes to a country with only one "look" But they can't go into all areas of Nairobi, which is why I have the darker skin. There's a place called Masai Market that isn't in the best part of town but I'm told they have the cutest clothes...I'll be there, BLENDING IN There is so much to say about Nairobi...did I already say they have pizza. oops, i did! Well, I hope you guys get a chance to experience it for yourself; the capital of east Africa and mine for the next 2 years.kwaheri!

No comments:

Post a Comment