Monday, March 2, 2009

war of the rats (so i think)





Ok, I had to blog about this, while its actually happening because it takes my mind off the clink/clank of my dishes & silverware being filtered thru by these intruding rodents; utensil scrubbing will be on the to-do list for tomorrow. So I just got off the phone with another volunteer, who lives about 6 hour bus ride from me. Decided to write letters & listen to music (Beatles "yellow submarine" playing now). First I see a mosquito INSIDE my mosquito PROTECTOR net! Then I snap a few pictures of a giant almost see-thru lizard in the bathroom, successfully convincing myself it's harmless. Now, lights off, music still on, here comes the rats! The layout of my place is very unamerican, as it should be. I have some holes in my tin roof & my door is about 3 inches off the ground so ANYTHING can come in here! I normally put my shoes up against the door to block the rodent path, but tonight I decided to be lazy and just "see what happens". Now I know. The first time I it happened last week I could almost taste the blood from my right ventricle tube in my throat! I was soo scared! The next morning I found poop everywhere. What would I do if I actually came face to face with one or two? A fight to the death I suppose. Their life with my shoe & bug spray, or my life with a rabies-infested rat bite! Either way, someones going down & I paid too much for this new bed & shelves so it better not be me! I keep thinking, this would never happen in America, at least not in my San Diego home, but that's the point...I'm not in America nor San Diego. So these experiences, though scary & rather unhealthy, is what I came here for...so deal with it girl! All is quiet now so maybe they couldn't get in my new food cabinet, or they just don't like Beatles music. If luck rolls my way, our watch dogs outside will eat them! to be continued...

ps. it has taken 2 months to realize that it's not rats, but lizards. Pretty big lizards with pretty big poop droppings! Let's all sigh with relief together...AAHHHH! I feel better, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment