Tuesday, March 3, 2009

being in africa

I must say I am still experiencing culture shock and it's been almost 7 weeks passing. Being elected to join the peace corps is a challenge in itself, but doing it in africa seems even more unreal. The books about kenya do not compare at all to the real thing...it is absolutely beautiful here! Every morning as I walk my hour UP HILL through shambas (farms), pass noisy bugs, I look around and think, "this could never happen in california. I could never look up and see mount kilimanjaro in san deigo!" Being surrounded by maize (corn), ngombes (cows), and rain every other day fills me with a sense of contentment (most times). there is a lot I have to learn from these people here...more than they can learn from me. Most "black americans" say traveling to africa is like going home, finding their roots, returning to the motherland. But now that I'm here I realize that it's more than just holding up your fist and being proud of your brown skin. These kenyans here look like me, but are different from me in every way. Their likes, hobbies, foods, clothes, jokes, languages, loves, even handshakes are so unique from mine. So being here has already proven to be my biggest challenge yet but I know I will eventually be able to look past the superficial notion of "connecting to my roots" and just learn to live, love, and laugh at myself, especially when I'm trying to cook on fire & wood!...hatua kwa hatua (one step at a time) to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment