Sunday, March 8, 2009

slang signs

i always thought sign language was so beautiful, that's why i got involved with interpreting. but there is much of the language is hard for me to understand the first time around because it's not my first language. i love to just sit back and watch the kids in class or even the Deaf adults in the community sign to each other. it is amazing! i wonder sometimes "how do you understand each other so well?" my counterpart, who is also the only Deaf teacher in school, will interpret for me to make it more clear if I look lost.

She has become a great resource for learning the language. Last Friday the dance team performed for the women's prison, which is right next door. We arrived a little after 11am, but as you will learn about Africa, time is NOT of the essence. The actual program didn't start until 4 hours later, so there was a lot of time on our hands to chit chat. My friend was cracking me up with all her slang signs and facial expressions. If I can make a comparison for those of you who may be a little confused, it's like watching an episode of Bernie Mac, Martin Lawrence, or Seinfield...you sit down, watch the program and laugh because of the way words and phrases are delivered. There's highs and lows in tone pitch, there are pauses at the perfect moment, and there may even be some body language that sends you doubled over on the couch. The same thing with Deaf people! I thought I was going to pee my pants! Right there in front of all the kids, teachers, guards and prisoners! I didn't though. Whew!

Here are some of the slang signs I've learned: Robber (B, flat hand cutting the side of your throat), an adulterous man (B, flat hand, brush cheeks), a person who takes money, white collar crimes (grab money then fold your arms), and a woman with a big butty (R, make a half circle like outlining the butt). She does the last one with the funniest expression! From these few signs you can guess the kind of topics we've talked about :)

I hope by the end of these 2 years I'll be able to master ALL the slang signs and fit like a glove in with the Deaf community. Now flowing with the Hearing community is another story...

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I definitely, positively and positively want to follow your blog because of the way you express yourself. You enjoy the language of signing, joining in the community and somehow - already - I have a sense you'll come through this NOT running away. I stumbled on your group's blogs, have read most and have been following a few (especially Nic's). You see, I have a connection to Machakos from many moons ago (I am 65 and not counting), which - if you are interested - I'll relate; but don't stop blogging, please! Mike Gannett http://www.BurlingtonVermontHomes.com
    RPCV - India (1965-67)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great and inexpensive way to stay in touch, smart idea, KUDOS to Ms. Alisha :) It will be much easier for me to KIT now, I know I have not been doing a good job. Everytime I talk to dad he asked, have you talked to Africa, "then the guilt comes in :)" I will do better. Love you and I am soooo enjoying your updates and being able to share you journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW- when you need some Christian encouragement check out my blog:
    www.hischosenvesselministry2005.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete