Saturday, March 14, 2009

my kids




I would have to say I feel pretty luck to be at this school. We have over 200 Deaf kids and during the first week of me being here they all thought I could remember their names and sign names! Yeah right! But they are such a joy to be around. Deaf children, especially, are very energetic and expressive with one another. One of my kids in 7th grade can immitate those dancers who poplock! It's so funny to see him pump his chest out to some unknown beat in his head, just like the Jabbawokees on MTV! And actually he looks just like the guy from that movie Breakin, who was dancing on the walls and ceiling! (that may be too far back for some of you). Last Thursday I stayed after to watch the kids run around the track. I must of been bambarded with a million questions! As I slowly backed away from the mob, they would get closer. I felt like Michael Jackson on tour! One girl refused to run; she's a little thicker than the rest, so we have something in common. After bribing her with gum and telling her I'll run with her, she finally got up. She and I, in my cute black dress in 120 degree weather, powerwalked around the track 4 times. All the kids cheered and I think she felt loved. I didn't beat or yell at her, I just treated her with respect...then gave her candy.


My Machakos kids are a true breath of fresh air. Their minds, curiosity, and playfulness are the same as American children. They want attention, they want to learn, and they want to use my camera ALL THE TIME. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't even be in Kenya, in the Peace Corps. So let me give a shot out to my Machakos kids! They're the best! (and we'll prove that at National Deaf games. Ginnie, Alyssa, and other Deaf ed schools ain't got nothin on us!)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aneesah (aka PCPM)- Thankd for glimpses into your abode (and john :)) and at the animated faces of your newfound friends and students. I can identify with small spaces. Mine some 43 years back was just about the same size, but it didn't sit on a hill with a view. And there is a track on this hill?? I ran track eons ago but play badminton and participate in the National Senior Games every other year (Stanford U 7/30-8/02/09). Unrelated question: will you ask Kenya staff about possible connections with kiondo womens weaver groups and how I might communicate? I have interest in very tightly woven Akamba kiondos (sisal bags)using smll strings. If yes, I'll forward pix via picasaweb. Tell us about your daily life and activities in your school. How is your kiswahili coming along? Do you have to take the exam, too? Best! Mike@burlingtonvermonthomes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey mike,
    for sure i will ask peace corps about that women's group. sounds interesting :). my kiswahili is CRAP! but hopefully i'll imporve. ok, i'll get back to you :)

    ReplyDelete