Monday, April 6, 2009

UNDEFEATED!

Every year in Kenya, during Term 1 (Jan-March) all Deaf schools gather together and compete in different events: dance, drama, poems, volleyball, football (soccer), track, and net ball. Round one is only for the provinces. I'm in East province so about 5 schools came to my town for a few days to see who is the best. I've been told that my school blows everyone out the water each year, but it was amazing to see it with my own eyes!
Four other volunteers came down with their schools to cheer on their kids. All that team spirit couldn't stop my kids from taking first place in dance, drama, volleyball, netball, and poems! Well, Gin's school in Embu did take first place in powerwalking! Ha Ha! She trained them well in that!
On the first day they competed in the creative arts section and I was the interpreter to deliver the scores to all the kids. It was hard to hear the judge's voice, let alone understand her accent so I had to stand right next to her, which gave me a good view of the judges score sheet. I was a little nervous because all the Deaf people in the room were relying on ME to know if they won or not. I kept saying, "can you repeat that score?" to the judge. Sorry to say my KSL training went out the window as I resorted to using ASL numbers---faster and easier.

As Machakos' name kept being announced as number one, I looked over at the other volunteers and signed SORRY. Ain't no stopping my school! Some of my kids were rather cocky during the events, which I hate. I'll have to teach them about humbleness and good sportsmenship for next year. As for this year, who cares! They are all on a bus now, headed to the national competitions, involving the best of the best throughout Kenya. I can't wait to see how many trophies they bring back from this one!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Aneesha, for the "peeking over the judges scorecards" description and the wonderful photo of dancers having a glorious time in their lavender pokkadot dresses and body paint. Really great! Take lots of pix at the Nationals, and one of the humble PCV coaches! Best, Mike G

    ReplyDelete