Sunday, May 31, 2009

working 9-5 woman

First, I apologize to everyone for this blog being a month late... I have never been more busy in my life than I am righ now! I literally talked myself into stopping my work at home to come into town and do this blog. Ever since school started it has been non-stop teaching/mentoring/getting this school "in-shape". I decided to cut back on 2 classes (1 KSL and 1 P.E.) however, I have decided to add a few as well.

I am teaching English, two KSL classes, and a Creative Arts class. Though it's only 4 classes a day, I feel like I'm constantly teaching, my hands are constantly moving (sign language), and my mind is constantly straining (how to get the information out effectively). I have a total of 70 students and I feel that ALL 70 NEED ATTENTION! However, I'm realizing this is near impossible. During break time, when it's suppose to be my time to relax and have tea with the teachers, I'm in the classroom clarifying my assignments and lessons to the students. During lunch time, when I'm suppose to be EATING, I'm in the classroom helping the slower-learning students with a slower teaching technique. I even risked my life (no joke) and came to school to teach at night last Thursday, which they all loved, but I almost fell through the door on my face when I got home I was so tired.

If that isn't enough, the principal has requested I teach KSL to the teachers (which they desperately need) because I'm supposedly the "expert". Last Friday was our first meeting...only 12 of the 26 teachers showed up, but that's a start. It was fun to see them starting to realize how visually beautiful sign language is. When I showed them a person WALKING (a directional sign), they all laughed but thought it was cool :)

One thing I had been trying to weasle out of but seems that it was meant-to-be from the start is teaching HIV/AIDS to Deaf college students. The volunteer before me was more of an HIV teacher than a subjects teacher, like me. So the college expected I would be the same. Oh no... I tried to explain my load is much heavier than the last volunteer, but they pushed and pushed and I finally gave in. Yesterday was the first class I taught at the college. Only 7 students go there, but that's enough for me! As I began to teach about Malaria, Homa (cold), TB (illnesses they know) and then compare them to HIV, I realized that there is a reason for me being here. Even though the last volunteer was their teacher, they apparently forgot about myths like sharing a spoon/toothbrush, or shaking hands with an infected person will NOT spread HIV. They all were against me, saying "YES IT DOES!" even the Deaf teacher. But after I said again and again that HIV is contracted through blood and semen only (sex, needles, open wounds, breast milk, etc), they were like OH... it was a lot of fun and as I teach them, I'm learning SO MUCH myself. I gave them the example of Magic Johnson and how some NBA players were against him also. Then at the end I passed out notebooks and told them to write each illness 10 times...spelling test next week. They loved it! We're even gonna do a few trips to the VCT and hospital.

I won't even get started on my secondary project with the school board!

Whew! Yeah, I think at the end of these 2 years I will for sure have acouple of gray braids! But knowledge is power and truly these students, teachers, and myself are all going to be much stronger, as long as we ALL give our ALL...

4 comments:

  1. Knowledge is indeed a very powerful thing.
    I've found that even informal education regardnig HIV/AIDS goes along way to help knock down the stereotypes and fears.
    Keep up the great work :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear about your busy schedule. A large part of your impact is not how much or how many or when (nighttime class) but "you". It'd be interesting to kno what the cumulative impact of the last PCV was, especially on her specialty. I'd venture it's the "you"... your personality, your energy and enthisiasm, your openness and willingness, which will have the lasting impact. Best to you. Mabe I'll be seeing you in Machakos one of these days. mike@burlingtonvermonthomes.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I came across your blog through Peace Corps Journals Kenya. It's very cool- glad people like you are sharing their stories!

    I'm a RPCV Botswana (04-06). I live in Corvallis, Oregon where I'm working on a graduate degree in International Health. I'm active in Oregon State University's Engineers Without Borders chapter who is working on a project in Lela, Kenya. EWB is an interdisciplinary group with professional and student chapters with the goal of helping communities meet their basic needs. This particular project is focused on water supply and quality,, the specific plan of which is to be determined after an assessment trip in December. Lela is a tiny, tiny village outside of the still fairly small town of Migori, just north of Tanzania, south of Homa Bay. The other nearest sizable town is Kisumu (north of Homa Bay).

    I'm contacting you because I am seeking a PCV in that area of Kenya to serve as a contact for us and I was hoping your might know someone in that region. There's so much about an area that we can't know without being there, hence, it'd be great to have someone who can field questions about the region, the environment, etc. I'm contacting other PCVs in Kenya as well, just to try and get help from anyone who might be able to point me in the right direction.

    If you know someone in that region, please do let me know, especially if you can tell me how to get a hold of them. Thanks a lot, and good luck in the rest of your service!

    Best,
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I am a teacher for the Deaf in St. Louis and a new student recently came to my school. He is from Kenya and uses Kenyan Sign Language, KSL.

    I am trying to find someone who can converse with him in KSL (so he doesn’t feel so alone), and help us understand his primary language (so we can build upon that). We can SYPE to help make this happen.

    I know there are huge numbers of Deaf Peace Corps Volunteers (current and returned), and I’m hoping you may know some of these wonderful people. I’m also hoping you can put me in touch with them.

    My email is: cahermann@ssd.k12.mo.us or chermann@pkwy.k12.mo.us


    Thank You,
    Cheryl Hermann

    ReplyDelete